Greek Burger with White Sauce

Monday, June 14, 2010



WOW -- on so many fronts! Sometimes I'm a little disorganized, so I don't always plan out meals when I grocery shop. That's probably why I'm such a big fan of throwing things together. I went grocery shopping yesterday and picked up ground chicken. I had no idea what I'd do with it, but stuck it in my cart anyway. I did some googling this afternoon for a greek chicken burger on the All Recipes website and sifted through my refrigerator and BINGO! I had all the ingredients! After reading some of the reviews, I decided to make a Cucumber-Dill sauce to accompany the burger (you know like Tzatziki sauce in a Greek restaurant.)Oh, but wait. I didn't have a cucumber. So, here again, my disorganization actually comes in handy. Kind of. So, I threw together enough ingredients to make it taste similar and called it "White Sauce." (Partly because if I called it "onion sauce" Picky Pants wouldn't eat it and partly because if I called it "onion sauce" you wouldn't try it)
Tee-hee!

If you know my husband, you know he likes his burgers plain. In fact, when he goes to get a burger at a drive-thru (ew, right?) his orders sound something like this: "2 Hamburgers, totally plain. Bun, Burger, Bun." Some of our friends even call him "Bun, Burger, Bun." I'll stick to Picky Pants. He always orders two hamburgers, throws one of the buns away and eats a double-decker burger, totally plain with one bun. He says he's a growing man and he needs a lot of protein. I'm like: really baby? It's McDonalds. we aren't even sure if it's real meat. Just kidding, kind of.

So, tonight, I served Picky Pants this plate for one reason and one reason only: to get a picture for my blog. Well! Wouldn't you know, by the time I snapped the picture he took the entire burger in his hands and ate ALL OF IT!

He ate it without removing the bun and picking out the spinach and he ate it without questioning the White Sauce. Have I died and gone to heaven or is my boy growing up? Tip - if you chop the onions fine enough, even the pickiest eaters will eat them!

Greek Burger

1 lb Ground Chicken
1/2 C Italian Bread Crumbs
1 egg
1 TSP Fresh Thyme
1 TSP Fresh Basil
Salt
Pepper
2 TBSP Chopped Sun Dried Tomatoes from a jar
Feta Cheese
1 TSP Lemon Juice >
1. Combine Chicken, bread crums, egg, lemon juice, spices and sun dried tomatoes in a bowl, mix with hands. Add Feta Cheese and mix until Feta is coverd in chicken-mix. (This way when you bite, it's like a yummy-Feta-surprise!)
2. Spray Pan (or you can grill them) and cook on medium high about 5-7 minutes on each side.

White Sauce
1 small container Plain Greek Yogurt
1/4 C finely chopped white onion
1 TSP Minced Garlic (from jar)
Dill Weed
Salt
Pepper
Splash Lemon Juice
Serve on burger on a bun with White Sauce and a few leaves of spinach.

Mangia! Mangia!






1 comments:

ErinsFoodFiles said...

YUM! Looks like a great summer burger.

My IGA! Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino